User Console

For general Flowcode discussion that does not belong in the other sections.
jay_dee
http://meble-kuchenne.info.pl

User Console

Post by jay_dee »

Hi,
The consoles are proving very useful within App Dev, I have UART and Circ Buffer console tabs.
Is it currently possilbe to have a user defined console, much like I can place a breakpoint for bedugging.

So I could insert a 'Console' request at a given point in the FC and during simulation all data that flows through that point is displayed in console format?

Steve-Matrix
Matrix Staff

Re: User Console

Post by Steve-Matrix »

There is a "console" section of Built-in Functions that can do this. You would essentially have to create the text lines and add them to a console output, which would give you control over the exact information you wish to display.

BenR
Matrix Staff

Post by BenR »

I'm thinking of creating a component to drive the console. I'm currently looking at key and value pairs type setup where each line has a key and an optional value both of which are stored as readable strings.

for example

Fruitbowl
Fruit: Bannana
Colour: Yellow
Size: 25.5

Would this do what you want or would you need more control?

jay_dee

Post by jay_dee »

Interesting, I think I have miss interpreted the consoles or at least I only use them in a very limited way.
typically I get a stream of raw data in my console view.
UART Console
UART Console
Console.PNG (4.5 KiB) Viewed 3544 times
My assumption was that this console feature was a sampling of the raw data stream passing in/out of a component and was hoping I could achieve the same sort of thing by having an effectivly empty component but that still allows sampling/viewing of the raw data but at a user perscribed point in the flowcode.
All sounds quite different to what you are both describing, to my ears at least. :)

BenR
Matrix Staff

Post by BenR »

Hello,

I've created a new Console Writer component that allows you to easy create a tab on the console window and add content to it. It's a text only version at the moment so please let me know if you would also like to see a binary data equivalent of the component.

jay_dee

Post by jay_dee »

Thanks Ben, my FC App Dev was working with text strings so this worked just fine as a debugging tool.
Really helps being able to peek into a simulation like this. Great stuff. J.

jay_dee

Post by jay_dee »

Hi Ben,
I've been using the console writer for a couple of projects and its a helpful tool. Would it be possible to put a 'number' version on the (ever expanding!) job list.
It would help to be able to 'sample' values and get them written to a streaming console type window.
Decimal byte and integer values is the main aim but hex and bin representations could be helpful as well. ;)