Opening a Version 4 program in Version 9?

For general Flowcode discussion that does not belong in the other sections.
paulmurphy
http://meble-kuchenne.info.pl

Opening a Version 4 program in Version 9?

Post by paulmurphy »

I have an old program which was written by a work colleague using Flowcode V4.
The program consists of 13 files with different extensions in a folder.
These files are not contained in a project.
I have installed Version 9 on my computer.
How do i open this program using V9?
Can V4 programs be opened using V9?

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor

Re: Opening a Version 4 program in Version 9?

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

I think you will have issues trying to do a straight conversion from v4 to v9. I think you may need to go "via" v7. Programs I have in v5 can be opened in v7 but not v9 and if I open v5 in v7 and save, I can then open the new v7 in v8/v9. I don't know what, if anything, is lost during this though but in my limited experience of going from v5 to v8 I haven't had much issue.

However if you just need to program new chips you can possibly just use the previous hex file and download that straight to the chip.

If you need to edit the file then of course you need to open it and I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I can advise if it is possible or not to go straight from v4 to v9 or the best way.

If you do need to go "via", I could possibly assist with that.

Alternatively I could probably print out the v4 chart enabling you to recreate it from scratch in v9 (drag in respective icons, recreate variable etc) if you think that would help.

Regards

p.erasmus
Valued Contributor

Post by p.erasmus »

chipfryer27 wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:44 pm
I think you will have issues trying to do a straight conversion from v4 to v9. I think you may need to go "via" v7. Programs I have in v5 can be opened in v7 but not v9 and if I open v5 in v7 and save, I can then open the new v7 in v8/v9. I don't know what, if anything, is lost during this though but in my limited experience of going from v5 to v8 I haven't had much issue.
Yes this is my understanding also earlier versions can be opened in V7 and then after saving it, it can be opened in V8/V9 somewhere in the forum Ben posted a link to V7 download how it works I do not know if it is 30 day trial version ,just for the conversion process :D
Regards Peter - QME Electronics

Steve-Matrix
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve-Matrix »

If you post (or PM) the .fcf file I will create a version compatible with v9 for you. However, there have been many changes since v4 and it's unlikely to work without needing changes, and we can't do that for you (but of course, we'll try to help on specific issues).