Flowcode v9.1 released

For general Flowcode discussion that does not belong in the other sections.
Steve-Matrix
Matrix Staff
http://meble-kuchenne.info.pl

Flowcode v9.1 released

Post by Steve-Matrix »

Earlier today we launched a large update, which will be offered to you when running Flowcode v9. If you wish to update and are not offered the download, you should ensure "Check for core updates on launch" is ticked in the "Application" tab of Flowcode's Global Settings.

Apart from various bug fixes and minor improvements, the big changes are as follows:
  • Translations for French, German, Spanish, Italian and Chinese (Traditional).
  • Better support in toolbars for high-DPI monitors.
  • Project explorer improvements – e.g. components now list per panel and new Built-in Functions tab.
  • 2D panel visual improvements – e.g. better support for gdi components and transparency, and optionally shows panel page.
  • New 2d-only <Shape>, <Image> and <Bevel> components.
  • New Built-in Functions for clipboard, focus, 2d panel and launching external files.
  • Toolchains no longer require 8.3 short filename paths.
  • API DLL improvements to TCPIP, DateTime and SerialDLL.
Please let us know if you have any comments or problems.

Steve-Matrix
Matrix Staff

Re: Flowcode v9.1 released

Post by Steve-Matrix »

Some users are reporting that the update is being flagged as a false positive by their anti-virus software.

We have been in contact with some of these organisations and reported this issue. We have also submitted these flagged files to them for analysis. We are still waiting for some results, but so far the files have been reported as clean.

If you are having any problem with this update, please check your anti-virus logs to see if any update files have been blocked or quarantined.

stefan.erni
Valued Contributor

Post by stefan.erni »

Hi Steve

The update was working fine on my computer.
The new possibilities are very interesting. Is there a description or a help?

-New Built-in Functions for clipboard, focus, 2d panel and launching external files.
-Toolchains no longer require 8.3 short filename paths.
-API DLL improvements to TCPIP, DateTime and SerialDLL

regards

Stefan

Steve-Matrix
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve-Matrix »

Hi Stefan,

I don't think we have information on the wiki yet about these additions, so here's a brief summary:

New Built-in Functions
The Built-in Functions are used in simulation and in deployed App Developer apps to extend the functionality of Flowcode. There are over 300 of these and we've added a few more. Some of these suggestions have come from users.
  • SetClipboardData - places text data onto the Windows clipboard
  • ReadClipboardData - reads text data from the Windows clipboard
  • GetHasFocus - identifies which Flowcode window has the focus
  • SetWorldPosition - sets the position of an object on the 2d panel
  • GetWorldPosition - reads the position of an object on the 2d panel
  • SetWorldSize - sets the size of an object on the 2d panel
  • GetWorldSize - reads the size of an object on the 2d panel
  • Set2DPanelCentre - sets the camera view coordinates of the 2d panel
  • Set2DPanelZoom - sets the zoom level for the 2d panel
  • ShellExecute - allows external files, websites, etc., to be launched
Toolchains no longer require 8.3 short filenames
Most users will not be affected by this, but it is a longstanding issue with Flowcode that made using certain toolchains difficult unless they were installed in a specific location.

In all previous versions of Flowcode, the toolchains required them to be installed in locations that had no space in their full pathname, or if there were spaces present then these paths needed to have 8.3 short pathname equivalents. We have rewritten how Flowcode interacts with these toolchains so that this restriction is no longer necessary.

API DLL improvements
These API DLLs are used by some Flowcode components to extend their functionality in simulation or in App Developer. The additions are:
  • TCPIP - secure comms added
  • DateTime - GetTick added for millisecond timer resolution
  • SerialDLL - GetCOMDetails added so components can report details and make decisions on the connected hardware

kdoney34711

Post by kdoney34711 »

I don't see the new release on https://www.flowcode.co.uk/download/. I have update system on startup checked in admin but nothing is being downloaded. Is it me or what?

Steve-Matrix
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve-Matrix »

kdoney34711 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:06 am
I don't see the new release on https://www.flowcode.co.uk/download/. I have update system on startup checked in admin but nothing is being downloaded. Is it me or what?
That's strange. Are you seeing the "I'm not a robot" captcha in the top right of that page?

kdoney34711

Post by kdoney34711 »

I was able to download 1 meg of the component updates.

FORMAT : Windows
SIZE : 240MB
VERSION : 9.0.0
RELEASE : December 2nd

This is the only version I see. I completed the captcha and signed in. I am on page
https://www.flowcode.co.uk/download/? Should I just download and install anyhow?

4/22 Just tried to install the "9.0" available and was told that the version was already installed.

Steve-Matrix
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve-Matrix »

I suggest you try uninstalling (via "Add or remove programs" is Windows Settings) and then reinstalling Flowcode.

kdoney34711

Post by kdoney34711 »

I have to say I am very dissapointed with Flowcode thus far. I apparently have no access to the new version (just uninstalled and reinstalled) and when searching for a off-the-shelf solution to a touch screen and ESP-32 the only result was paying $40 for a Kaluga and using C conversion as a work around not having good support in Flowcode. There doesn't appear to be even a small base of public domain applications using Flowcode even going back to Flowcode 7. Did I just happen to fall into Flowcode hell or is this a view of the future?

Steve-Matrix
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve-Matrix »

Most users are running v9.1 without issue, so I don't understand what the problem is on your PC. When you download the installer you can ensure it is the correct version by right-clicking and selecting "properties". Under the "Details" tab it should show as v9.1.0.0. If you have specific issues with installing then please continue the conversation and give me more details of where things are going wrong and we will try to help.

As for support for a particular screen, then we can certainly look into it. We often make new components based on user suggestions and if you have particular requests then please make some suggestions in the "feature requests" section. Our users also make components.

In addition, if you have a specific requirement and want our community to suggest a way forward then please create a new topic explaining what you would like.