Console and/or Console Viewer Functions

Post here to discuss any new features, components, chips, etc, that you would like to see in Flowcode.
jay_dee
http://meble-kuchenne.info.pl

Console and/or Console Viewer Functions

Post by jay_dee »

Hi,
The Console Viewer in AD is a very quick and easy place drop send diagnosic data and strings.
New data added to console is added as a new line.

I know its not intended to be used this way but the following functions if possible would increase the adapability of this componet.

Move Cursor to Line.
Move Cursor to Character
Clear Specific Line.

J.

Steve-Matrix
Matrix Staff

Re: Console and/or Console Viewer Functions

Post by Steve-Matrix »

Thanks for the suggestion - added to my list.

BenR
Matrix Staff

Post by BenR »

Hello.

The console viewer component simply shows the bottom x number of lines of a console tab and so would have to fundamentally change to be able to do this.

How are you populating the console data? The Console writer component can probably be edited fairly easily to allow for this.

Looking at the console writer component it already has the functions GetTextLine and SetTextLine would these allow you to do what you require?

jay_dee

Post by jay_dee »

Hi Ben, Steve.
Ah..yes, I see how the writer is and 'dumb' repeater of Console.
I'm just using the 'Write to Console' macro and send what ever text I want to monitor... thus I also see in writer on the 2D screen.

I tried to play with the Get and Set Text but concluded these are for retrieval of Console Text for use in other components, not really for editing Console text directly. I may have miss understood.

Could Console be expanded in functionality for these functions or equivalents...
> Move Cursor to Line.
> Move Cursor to Character
> Clear Specific Line.

I think I could then easily write a static Menu style display to the console. (thus Writer)
Simply by writing specific blocks of characters with blank text, followed by new text strings.
Console seems pretty nifty in its update rate so this is a big posative for my needs.

:) I have no idea on the complexity to achieve this but it could be mighty handy.

I often use the emulated VT100 and TerraTerm method described by Martin Medelec (I think) and love it...but VT100 takes heck of a lot of characters if controlled directly from a PIC18F with 19200 Baud UART to achieve simple tasks. A FC console with a basic set of VT100 style commands would be great, as lots of the heavy lifting can be done by AD and the PIC just sends the content. :) J.