pic24f curiosity board programmer settings

For general Flowcode discussion that does not belong in the other sections.
oi18ct
http://meble-kuchenne.info.pl

pic24f curiosity board programmer settings

Post by oi18ct »

New to flowcode, could use a little guidance with programmer settings in the compiler options for USB. Getting in the neighborhood based on some information in the other forum, but not getting to the finish line...

using:
fc v9.2
DM240004 PIC24F Curiosity Dev Board
https://www.microchip.com/en-us/develop ... l/DM240004
Processor is PIC24FJ128GA204

BenR
Matrix Staff

Re: pic24f curiosity board programmer settings

Post by BenR »

Hello,

It looks like the board features a pickit on-board though not sure if this is a pickit 3 or 4 or something different.

Best bet might be to compile using Flowcode and then program using MPLAB IPE. This can be installed as part of the MPLAB-X installation. Once the IPE is working let us know what the IPE is detecting the board as and we can then probably advise further on the Flowcode configuration to allow for single click compile to chip to work.

oi18ct

Post by oi18ct »

Hello Ben,

Thanks for the feedback- so I compiled to hex and was able to download using mplabx-ipe. Getting some anomalies, probably because I don't know microchip very well yet (converting our products from a different uC/IDE). None-the-less, it's taking a download.

I could continue this way with it, but I think I'd lose out on some functional capabilities. So I noticed a staggered TH tagged J5 which is a programming port. Not much in the documentation, but I am assuming it parallels programming access around the USB/On-board programmer.

I've not been able to download with a pickit-4 via that yet. I think that is because the location set in build-->compiler options-->programmer is set incorrectly. It points to $(mplabxdir)mplab_platform\mplab_ipe\ipecmd.exe, a folder which looks to be empty. Possibly I didn't install the FC Pic16 Compiler right? So I downloaded it and re-installed from FC website.

Possibly, it should point to C:\Program Files (x86)\Flowcode\Common\Compilers\pic16 where a bunch of .exe compilers live. Sound right? Which compiler is suggested? In the .bin folder at that location, there is not a $(appdir)tools\mLoader\mLoader.exe as recommended in the wiki

Lee

p.erasmus
Valued Contributor

Post by p.erasmus »

Hi.
It seems the curiosity board features a PICKIT4 onboard but that you can see when the MPLAB IPE has connected to the board if it shows up as a PICKIT3 or PICKIT4

in either case you can set up the PICKIT3/4 in FC to program directly as shown in this document https://www.flowcode.co.uk/wiki/index.p ... ming_Tools :D
let us know or show a screen print from the MPLAB IPE if it is not shown as a PICKIT
Regards Peter - QME Electronics

oi18ct

Post by oi18ct »

ok, I was looking at this: https://www.flowcode.co.uk/wiki/index.p ... PIC/PIC24)
didn't see reference to 3rd party programmer- thanks
it appears there were 2 problems- pic16 compilers were installed but flowcode didn't find them until a change to global settings-->locations told FC to find the pic16 compilers in C:\Program Files (x86)\Flowcode\Common\Compilers\pic16

1 down, 1 to go!

programmer location in compiler options = $(mplabxdir)mplab_platform\mplab_ipe\ipecmd.exe
programmer parameters in compiler options = /P$(chip) /F"$(outdir)$(target).hex" /TPPK4 /M /OL

compile to target pitches an error. browsing the programmer location shows that its empty, however mplabx-ipe is installed and working. properties show it in "C:\Program Files\Microchip\MPLABX\v5.50\mplab_platform\bin\mplab_ipe64.exe"

Here's the error from comile to target-
HEX file creation successful!

Using <myPic24FJ> user settings for programmer
Launching the programmer...
C:\Users\Oxy6\Documents\onyxIndustries\projects\flowcode_9\%ProgramFiles%\Microchip\MPLABX\v5.50\mplab_platform\mplab_ipe\ipecmd.exe /P24FJ128GA204 /F"C:\Users\Oxy6\Documents\onyxIndustries\projects\flowcode_9\test pic16f24 curiosity board.hex" /TPPK4 /M /OL
ERROR: Can not launch process: The system cannot find the path specified.

C:\Users\Oxy6\Documents\onyxIndustries\projects\flowcode_9\%ProgramFiles%\Microchip\MPLABX\v5.50\mplab_platform\mplab_ipe\ipecmd.exe reported error code 0xFFFFFFFF

Autoclose turned off

FINISHED

p.erasmus
Valued Contributor

Post by p.erasmus »

Hi,

You should be able to select the PicKit4 as a standard option in V9 as you will see below,Note you have to select the check mark set as default.

P1.jpg
P1.jpg (57.82 KiB) Viewed 3232 times
Another issue could be if you use an MPLAB verion pre-5.30 then the ipe is not in mplab_platform folder you need to search for it then I am not sure where it was located pre 5.30 version it a long time ago.

can you poste some creen prints of your settings and Tool Folder paths such as MPLAB and MPLAB IPE
hope this helps

I have been using PICkit3 and Pickit 4 from FC for many years :D if the paths are correct it works

Hope this helps

oi18ct

Post by oi18ct »

Peter- thanks for the hint regarding the location for the programmer. once changed to
C:\Program Files\Microchip\MPLABX\v5.50\mplab_platform\mplab_ipe\ipecmd.exe
it downloads fine.

configuration can be a bear. Thank you!

p.erasmus
Valued Contributor

Post by p.erasmus »

I am happy you got it going nice work :D