Manufactured cases

For general Flowcode discussion that does not belong in the other sections.
WingNut
http://meble-kuchenne.info.pl

Manufactured cases

Post by WingNut »

So... I've been 3d printing my project cases for over a year and what great fun that has been. But I'd like to take it a stage further. Does anyone know a company that can take a project file and manufacture it professionally? The equivalent in bespoke cases like JLCPCB is for circuit boards is what I have in mind (JLCPCB are fantastic imo)

N

kersing
Valued Contributor

Re: Manufactured cases

Post by kersing »

What volumes are you thinking? Custom cases from ABS have initial fees to create the molds and for each run additional setup fees. Years ago I talked to a company during electronics event and the cheapest option still ran into initial cost of several thousand euros.
You know several of the pcb manufacturers also provide 3D printing services? Not just plastic but other materials are available as well.

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

As Kersing informs above, you will probably find that the setup costs are steep and may not be viable unless large volumes are planned. However many plastics can be milled so CNC may be a cheaper option to explore. Guess it depends on your complexity.

Is your project only able to use a certain design or could it fit into something commercially available? Companies such as Hammond and Terrington offer a vast range of shapes and sizes, and Arnold Plastics do custom too.

Regards

WingNut

Post by WingNut »

I kind of thought that would be the answers. like I said i've been printing my own and thats been a good experience and a lot of satisfaction to be had. I've used hammond boxes in the past but the usual issues arise - box is plain, either too big or too deep. I just thought that maybe there was an offering with an introductory offer. I'm not planning on spending thousands unless I have a lottery win

kersing
Valued Contributor

Post by kersing »

What kind of size are you looking at? I’ve seen people use electrical installation boxes very effectively.

WingNut

Post by WingNut »

Bespoke - based on the design i created for 3d printed cases I printed so a bit better than just a plain box

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

The material used in the 3D process plays a big part in the quality of finish so perhaps a different type of spool could be used? If so it may then be feasible to send your file to a "farm".

Regards