ESP-32 compile

For general Flowcode discussion that does not belong in the other sections.
Tinker
http://meble-kuchenne.info.pl

ESP-32 compile

Post by Tinker »

Newbie, sorry if a dumb question:-
I installed the ESP tool chain, then drew up a quick sketch involving an ESP32 Wroom and a display.
then clicked compile to hardware which is on com3
get this error message at the end of the compile process:-

[10/598] Building CXX object esp-idf/asio/CMakeFiles/__idf_asio.dir/asio/asio/src/asio.cpp.obj
ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.
ninja failed with exit code 1
Executing action: all (aliases: build)
Running ninja in directory c:\flow-files\first-esp-proj\build
Executing "ninja all"...

Build Failed

C:\ProgramData\MatrixTSL\FlowcodeV9\FCD\ESP\Batch\esp32_build.bat reported error code 0x1

Autoclose turned off
---------------------------------------------
Not sure what root this error steams from, toolchain,Flowcode, or windows
anyone seen this before?
Tink

Steve-Matrix
Matrix Staff

Re: ESP-32 compile

Post by Steve-Matrix »

Here is a search for similar issues that have been discussed on these forums that hopefully will help:

search.php?keywords=subcommand&terms=al ... mit=Search

If they do not help, please post your Flowcode project file (fcfx) and the associated "msg.txt" file as these will help us determine the exact cause of the compilation failure.

Tinker

Post by Tinker »

here are the files Steve
Attachments
ESP-test1.msg.txt
(3.31 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
ESP-test1-Ccode.txt
(35.41 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
esp-toolchain Setup Log 2022-11-01 #001.txt
(62.95 KiB) Downloaded 29 times

Tinker

Post by Tinker »

Hi there
I trawled through the forum and tried a few things like turning off the anti-virus, using different folder to hold the toolchain etc, none worked. I had a spare drive with a virgin copy of win10 on it, so I fitted that into the laptop, brought windows up to date, added Flowcode and entered the licence, down loaded the toolchain and made a quick script for the ESP32 WROOM.
It still failed to build the project, but here is what I noticed:-
The tool chain install wants to use a folder Dell User which has a space in the name. This is rejected and following Ben’s how to, I used C:\esp-idf.
The rest of the toolchain install went into the default folder. At the end of the install of the toolchain install wanted to update the “shell”, but failed to do that, and this failure was noticed on both machines.
The install also placed esp-idf. Command prompt on the desk-top.
From the build report I can confirm that C:\esp-idf\ESP-test1 project name
And C:\users\dell user\documents\”esp32s_sdkconfig
Are not in place, the directories exist but those files are not in there.
It looks like whatever process is supposed to put files in their place isn’t working, and this may be attributed to the scattering of the install components?
I resisted manually moving files around as I need the system to work as it should.
Thanks for reading this, any suggestions
Tink

Steve-Matrix
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve-Matrix »

Strange that your original error was "ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed" but in the msg.txt file you posted it was "CMakeLists.txt not found in project directory c:\users\dell user\documents".

Looking at the latter error message, it could be the toolchain doesn't like spaces and/or requires 8.3 style filenames.

So my first suggestion would be to save your Flowcode project file in a directory without spaces (e.g. as c:\MyProjects\MyFile.fcfx) and see it that works.

You should also make sure all library files in Flowcode are up-to-date.

Please let me know how you get on.

Tinker

Post by Tinker »

Hi there
Well I created folder names with no spaces or other characters, then moved my existing test project to that folder. Build failed, but I note that legacy folder names were transported into the new folder, and build was attempting to use them.
I saved the test file under a new name and deleted the old test file. Build was successful with no errors, so I do have a flashing led!
But I have failed to get the I2C display to work, and reading the forum it would seem this was reported as a problem for ESP32 back in 2000. I set the I2C to use GIOP22 as clk and GIOP21 as data. The test program loops writing to and clearing the display, but those pins are high all the time with no evidence of data, high source is the display. 1602 style with piggy back board.
I enclose the C file and would be grateful if you could advise where I am going wrong with the I2C display. Regards
Tink
Attachments
secondesp.c
(24.54 KiB) Downloaded 29 times

Steve-Matrix
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve-Matrix »

Glad you got compilation sorted.

I'll ask my colleagues regarding your I2C display issue.

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Hello Tink.
Can you change the LCD to LCD I2c (Backpack).
If you have fair few print functions, you can replace the LCD by doing the following:
Add LCD I2c (Backpack) to the same panel eg 2d panel as the existing LCD.
On the 2d panel Select the LCD that's not working, right-click it and from the context menu, select Selection, Replace.
The LCD you just added can then be deleted as the original LCD should now be replaced.
The original LCD that's not working will be looked into.
Martin

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Just An update.
I have hopefully sorted the issue out with the LCM1602 and it will be added to the update system as soon as possible.
Martin

Tinker

Post by Tinker »

My note of thanks seems to remain un-posted, but thanks to all support staff for your help.
Tink