ESP32-S2 seen as ESP32

For general Flowcode discussion that does not belong in the other sections.
chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
http://meble-kuchenne.info.pl

Flowcode v10 ESP32-S2 seen as ESP32

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

Fueled by getting the ESPv5 toolchain installed and compiling I created a small chart to hopefully flash an LED connected to #18 of an ESP32-S2. Previously I had only compiled to Hex for S2 but to chip for ESP32 using v5 without issue.

All went well up until it connected to download, where it failed with the following message

Screenshot 2023-05-10 123055.png
Screenshot 2023-05-10 123055.png (18.16 KiB) Viewed 1006 times

Attached is the chart

S2-Flash.fcfx
(10.47 KiB) Downloaded 36 times

Is the S2 not yet supported?

Regards

mnfisher
Valued Contributor

Re: ESP32-S2 seen as ESP32

Post by mnfisher »

Try

idf.py set-target esp32s2

At a command prompt - it is 'sticky' so should just need doing once - might also need a idf.py fullclean

Martin

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

In the Python console

entering either of the lines returns a syntax error not liking either "set" nor "fullclean". Tried various "set" combinations such as set_target etc. No luck

I'm possibly doing something stupid (again).

Regards

stefan.erni
Valued Contributor

Post by stefan.erni »

Hi Martin, Hi Lain

I am sure but does it have something to do with the hanging update?
It's about the S2

regards

Stefan

Update:
Snag_1559744.png
Snag_1559744.png (27.25 KiB) Viewed 994 times

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi Stefan

Good point, I'd forgotten about those.

Regards

mnfisher
Valued Contributor

Post by mnfisher »

Iain,

Can you run - idf.py - if you are using esp32 v5.0 cmd you'll need to cd to the right directory.
If using cmd then you'll need to do export.py first..

I'll try this evening with a c3 board...

Martin

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

Obviously I'm still drooling at the thought of my TRS-80 being resurected... :)

After installing toolchains I thought I'd moved the various shortcuts to a folder, but had moved them to the Recycle Bin instead.

Strange thing, when I was looking for command prompts, although ESP was listed I couldn't open it and after trying, most navigation was messed up.

Anyway, once rescused from the bin I could open and navigate to my floder, folder even, and in there I successfully ran Martin's set-target line.

Once back into FC it compiled to target without any issue. Well........ !

I thought I'd bricked it, or in the case of an eentsy-weentsy uC pebbled it as my blue LED merrily flashing beforehand had now stopped.... My code was to flash the led in a S.O.S. type of sequence. Nothing..... However I'm putting the cause down to continued drooling as per above thoughts... #18 and #13 look a bit the same from a distance and I'd got it wrong... Doh..!

Anyway, even more thanks to Martin for his help as I now can compile to my S2.

Regards

EDIT...
I have a sticker on PC reminding me to run your line before compiling anything new :)

mnfisher
Valued Contributor

Post by mnfisher »

Look forward to hearing how the TRS-80 is going to. Their seems to be a fair bit of available info/software and boards to let you use an SD card as a hard drive too....

Martin

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

I should have an easy day today and intend going to the "evil lab" so the TRS-80 and Monitor are already loaded into car. Although I've yet to find the cassette deck, I did find the 2w/4w interface board I used to connect Commodore PC1's to telephone lines, all built on Vero so I'm scared to even look inside the cover :)

I've either stood on the Monitor 5-pin DIN or taken it apart at some point as it's in a sorry state. Not keen on opening the monitor up as it was based on US technology with a live chassis. An opto-coupler was used to isolate the Monitor from the computer, fed by 5v from the computer itself. If the problem is with the monitor (I hope) then I may at some point look at fixing it just for completeness, but for now the actual computer is priority.

Even the dust has dust on it.

If I get it working then I'd be keen to implement some form of storage in addition to a cassette deck but not sure how that would best be implemented. With only 16K of RAM any code to facilitate would need to be compact. I did, perhaps stupidly, think on trying to keep with the past by creating a board that would interface with the TRS-80 cassette port. A board would store programs perhaps controlled by a PIC or the like and convert the program into "tones" the interface would recognise. When issuing "Cload" the PIC would detect via the Motor Control lead and generate tones etc.

However I first need to get it working :)

Regards

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

After a good clean up of the cases I tested the PSU. Voltages aren't quite as expected but not too worryingly out.....ish.... bearing in mind it has not been touched in over 30yrs. PSU has rivets holding it together so opening it up would be a pain.

Opening up the TRS-80 though brought back a lot of nostalgia (although even that ain't what it used to be). Rows of chips aligned neatly in their sockets for easy replacement, from a time when humans built things. Solidly built and easy to disassemble.

Straight away I could see a problem with a 10,000uF electrolytic capacitor that now had a very pronounced bulge at the +ve end and had been leaking goo. So, until I fit a replacement that's as far as it goes for now. Most of the ceramic's at each chip have some white "stuff" on them. Not seen that before so can't say what it is, but putting an LCR40 (Peak Instruments) across a few showed nothing untoward.

Regards