ESP32 board nightmare

For general Flowcode discussion that does not belong in the other sections.
RGV250
http://meble-kuchenne.info.pl

ESP32 board nightmare

Post by RGV250 »

Hi,
Not a FC issue but as there are probably a lot of ESP users here I thought I would check if I am reading it wrong.
I have an ESP32 WROOM board, I decided to order a second one and found one which was a good price. I then noticed the pin layout was different to the one I have. Looking at lots of different boards/modules, all ESP32 WROOM they are all different, is this just my view or is it the case and if so should I just get a few from the same supplier.
Not exactly good if you want to design and build several boards similar but get the modules from different suppliers.

Regards,
Bob

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor

Re: ESP32 board nightmare

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

You are not alone. I have had numerous issues with ESP boards bought from the usual online markets. Some barely managed to transmit a few metres LoS. All were the familiar DevKit package and depending on vendor pins varied (if even properly connected). Basically if you buy cheap don't expect much when it comes to these.

Buying from more reliable sources worked better for me, but of course costs were far greater. In another post Benj did recommend some "Lolin" boards from I think aliexpress. I did buy a few based on his recommendation and so far they seem to work well.

Find a supplier that works for you and stick with them :)

Regards

RGV250

Post by RGV250 »

Hi,
I had not even thought wifi range would be an issue, this is one of the main reasons why you would buy them.
I got the one i have from Amazon and it seems OK but when I went to get another it is "currently unavailable" which happens a lot. Cost is not a big deal for me or other hobbyist I would guess as we do not use loads. I have found one that has matching pin out so hopefully that will be good.

Bob

Chadb

Post by Chadb »

I noticed the same thing. I had some wide devboards that don't fint in a protoboard. I then ordered some skinny ones that DO fit and they have different pinout. I also ran into another problem. The orgional ones that I have will auto program. The new skinny one I have to hold the boot button down to program. Also frustrating.

MJU20

Post by MJU20 »

Be sure that the boards have supported versions of ESP32.
There are S2,S3,C2,C3,C6,H2 versions, not all are supported in FC10.