ESP IDF Installation issues

For general Flowcode discussion that does not belong in the other sections.
TWPC
http://meble-kuchenne.info.pl

Flowcode v10 ESP IDF Installation issues

Post by TWPC »

Hi all,

I have been trying to install, for the last few weeks now, the ESP toolchain with no luck. before i completely loose it, i though id see if anyone else has encountered the same issue as i've seen on the forum and online throughout my searching, it hasn't been issue free for most.

the issue mainly is that its not completing the install. always finishing with an error 'exit code -2'.

I have uninstalled and installed the IDF many times throughout trying and its always produced an error. using both the flowcode supplied 2.3.exe, and espressif.com downloaded .exes (various online and offline .exes, with different idf versions), all with no luck.

see the error screenshots and logfile below.

Any pointer would be highly greatful.

thanks
leon
Setup Log 2023-12-09 #002.txt
(28.8 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
Screenshot 2023-12-09 153137.png
Screenshot 2023-12-09 153137.png (25.81 KiB) Viewed 6139 times
Screenshot 2023-12-09 153833.png
Screenshot 2023-12-09 153833.png (22.62 KiB) Viewed 6139 times
Kind regards,
Leon

kersing
Valued Contributor

Re: ESP IDF Installation issues

Post by kersing »

First thing I would do is use a username without spaces so your folder names do not contain spaces. Second, search the forum for the detailed instructions that have helped other users. You aren’t the first with issues with the toolchain and won’t be the last, however there is a wealth of information in the topic where other users have similar problems.

TWPC

Post by TWPC »

Hi Kersing,

thank you for your tips. i will edit the username and see if that works. i created the post after trying what i've found on all other very detailed posts relating to IDF issues on the forum. however, i will keep searching as nothing has helped so far. most i've found is to do with issues when using the idf rather than installing.

thanks
leon
Kind regards,
Leon

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

I'm not sure what, but my feeling is that something has changed relatively recently. I have successfully installed and ran on numerous machines versions that were exactly as the previous guide, and also when experimenting with 5.1 months ago. My Git, depending on machine was as per guide or newer and it didn't seem to matter. Same with Python. On some machines this was newer and I'd no real issue. My main problems previously were with the "experimental" 5.1 running on a W10 machine but I did get it running albeit with bugs. However that was many months ago.

Recently I tried to upgrade my 4.2 to 5.1 and broke everything. Not even System Restore could resolve (going back numerous days). I tried uninstalling everything related and restarting from scratch to no avail. The reason I suggest "something" has changed is that when installing, I'm now given a warning that my OS is too old (W8.1). Funny, it wasn't when I was installing 4.2 originally or the few times after that....

The only version on my W8.1 I could get to complete the installation was v4.1 but it still had issues when trying to compile. Messages suggest that it can't find modules, "web" searches suggest manually pointing to locations but in my case I don't have the module in the suggested locations, nor can a search of my drive find any either.

Also, although I have Windows Defender installed it isn't used. Having the 3rd box checked that offers to configure Defender caused my install to crash. Unchecked it still crashed but not at that point.

I might try this again on my W81 once I get bored sticking needles in my eye :)

I'm probably going to be turning a linux machine back into a Windows soon (W10). If so the first thing I'll install is FC and see how I get on following the guide on a completely clean machine.
Regards

LeighM
Valued Contributor

Post by LeighM »

I agree with kersing, according to the log, the space in the username does seem to be causing problems

TWPC

Post by TWPC »

Thank you for your help!

It looks like it was the spaces. i assumed the space issue was something just for the original destination path of the installed files that was inputed at the start of the installer, rather than the use of the various installer, downloader and extractor scripts within the .exe and its interaction with any path with a space. im yet to use it to see if it works using flowcode, but the original issue of the exit code before the install finished, i no longer have and has successfully installed.

thanks guys
Kind regards,
Leon