Chip suggestions, fast 5V compatible

For general Flowcode discussion that does not belong in the other sections.
pmgreene01
http://meble-kuchenne.info.pl

Chip suggestions, fast 5V compatible

Post by pmgreene01 »

I am looking for suggestions for a fast, 5V compatible chip/dev board.

I am currently using an Arduino Nano V3 where I am sampling 4 analog channels and using an interrupt to output a simple servo calculation to an SPI DAC (MAX5216). I have to run the interrupt at 1khz because the chip is not quite fast enough to run it at 2khz and there is no way to get a time interval between 1khz and 2 khz. It runs adequately at 1khz, but I really want to run the servo update at 2khz, so I am looking for a faster mcu. I have some analog circuits that are all based on 5V signals and I don't want to change those to scale the signals down to 3.3V.

If anyone can suggest targets that are 5V compatible with a faster clock (>32mHz) and compatible with Flowcode, I would appreciate the advice. I did find the PIC32CM series (5V and up to 48mHz), but it is not listed in the "supported devices" page. Maybe it is similar enough to other PIC devices, but I have no experience with PIC devices on Flowcode.

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor

Re: Chip suggestions, fast 5V compatible

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

It can be rather daunting trying to select a suitable chip for your project and Microchip make it a bit easier with MAPS

https://www.microchip.com/maps/microcontroller.aspx

Here you can select parameters that are important to you and a list of devices containing such will be returned. Results can be overwhelming though, so try and narrow things down.

I first started on PICs with FC v3 and their PIC Multi-programmer/Combo board which I still have and gets the occasional use,

How you will program the chip should be considered too. If using a programmer (e.g. one of Matrix's e-Boards or the like) makes sure it can handle your chip too. Just because FC can generate the code doesn't mean your programmer can work with the chip.

Regards

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Hello.
What about dsPIC30F20xx range.
They look lighting fast as maximum frequency is 120MHz and up to 30MIPS operation.
The voltage range is 2.5 to 5.5V
The dsPIC are 16bit
Martin

pmgreene01

Post by pmgreene01 »

Thank you for the suggestion. That looks very good and has fast 12bit ADC's. There are just too many PIC versions!

pmgreene01

Post by pmgreene01 »

I am adding a post because I figured out my interrupt problem and wanted to share in case it helps anyone else.

The interrupt definition in Flowcode only supports rollover interrupts and does not have the settings for a COMPA interrupt where the timing can be adjusted to any period.

I can't run my interrupt at 500ms, but I can run it at 600ms and these custom interrupt settings allow me to achieve this timing,Timer 2 running at 600msec.

I think that it would be good if the COMPA settings were part of the standard interrupt definition for Arduino.

enable code

// Name: Interrup_T2_CompA
TCCR2A |= (1 << WGM21); // Set CTC mode
TCCR2B |= (1 << CS22); // Set prescaler to 64
OCR2A = 150; // Set the compare match value 600msec

TIMSK2 |= (1 << OCIE2A);
sei();

disable code

TIMSK2 &= ~(1 << TOIE2);

handler code

ISR(TIMER2_COMPA_vect)
{