itag bluetooth

Post here to discuss any new features, components, chips, etc, that you would like to see in Flowcode.
ayhan1
http://meble-kuchenne.info.pl

itag bluetooth

Post by ayhan1 »

Hello. I'm trying to do the following project with Flowcode.

https://www.instructables.com/Presence- ... tooth-BLE/

When one or more itags come within a certain distance of the esp32, I will pull a relay. For this, I need to read the MAC address and RSI values of the itags. How can I do that.?

It would be great if there was a special itag component.

ayhan1

Re: itag bluetooth

Post by ayhan1 »

I guess no one has any idea about this issue.

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

I don''t think that it's a case of no ideas, more that the FC ESP32 BT component doesn't support your request.

As you state above, you need to read the RSI and this isn't a feature of the component.

I'm no ESP32 expert, only having basic working knowledge, and I'm sure it could be done if you perhaps use C-Blocks to access specific registers or the like, but you would need to establish that for yourself. However if using an external BT module (e.g. HC05/06) it is quite easy to use "AT" commands such as AT+INQ to obtain RSI details.

Perhaps those with more ESP32 BT experience could add?

Regards

ayhan1

Post by ayhan1 »

Thank you for your answer. You say that ESP32 does not have such a feature. If I use a Bluetooth module such as pic and hc-06 instead of Esp32, I can read the MAC-IDs and RSSI values of the itags with AT commands. Did I understand correctly?

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

Yes, you can do it that way, but of course it isn't quite so straightforward as just issuing a command. The HC05/06 modules need to be put into "command mode" so to speak, and this is done by setting pins. Offhand I can't remember exactly which module pins need to be High/Low but the datasheets explain. A modest PIC (for example) can easily accommodate using UART and a couple of free pins.

When in command mode you can access all features using "AT" commands and if you search the web you will find a list of commands applicable to the modules. I think AT+INQ returns address+parameter+RSSI for bluetooth within range (but I'd need to double check that).

Grab the datasheets and make sure the commands will do all that you need.

I have a few modules kicking around so I could probably test this out, but I'm a bit busy this week. If I get a chance I'll try.

This will be possible with the ESP too, but as mentioned the component doesn't support reading RSSI but others with more experience with the ESP BT might have better ideas.

Regards

ayhan1

Post by ayhan1 »

Thank you very much for your detailed answer.

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

Whilst in my evil lab today I dug out an HC05 datasheet and it can provide RSSI info. How accurate is anybody's guess but as the modules are cheap it's not going to break a bank. You could test with a cellphone or any other BT enabled device but I guess a cellphone may need to be quite a distance to see significant RSSI changes (or perhaps wrap in foil).

If I get a chance I'll try and test this as it has piqued my interest.

Regards