Generating extended debugging information after a crash

Any bugs you encounter with Flowcode should be discussed here.
Steve-Matrix
Matrix Staff
http://meble-kuchenne.info.pl

Generating extended debugging information after a crash

Post by Steve-Matrix »

This post details registry changes that can enable "Windows Error Reporting" (WER) functionality for Flowcode which can provide extended debugging information after a Flowcode crash which can help our developers pinpoint the cause of the crash.

This WER functionality is turned off by default in Windows and requires changes to the registry to enable it. It can be turned on for all applications or just specific ones. I will detail how to enable it for Flowcode here using information gathered from this Microsoft post.

To enable WER for Flowcode v9, the following keys need to be added to the registry. This will require administrator-level access.

Code: Select all

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps\FlowcodeV9.exe
"DumpFolder" (REG_EXPAND_SZ) = %LOCALAPPDATA%\FlowcodeV9\CrashDumps
"DumpCount" (REG_DWORD) = 16
"DumpType" (REG_DWORD) = 1
The attached zipped registry file can also be used - unzip its contents, right click the "enableminidumps.reg" file and select "merge". This attached file contains additional registry entries for the upcoming Flowcode v10.

Once the registry has been changed, you should have entries similar to the following:
wer_settings.png
wer_settings.png (32.58 KiB) Viewed 3956 times
Any future crashes by Flowcode should produce a "minidump" file in the location specified (%LOCALAPPDATA%\FlowcodeV9\CrashDumps). If a Flowcode crash does produce a "minidump" file (named something like "FlowcodeV9.exe.26464.dmp"), please contact me via PM and I will provide instructions on how to upload this file so we can investigate.
Attachments
enableminidumps.zip
(426 Bytes) Downloaded 154 times

Steve-Matrix
Matrix Staff

Re: Generating extended debugging information after a crash

Post by Steve-Matrix »

If Flowcode ever becomes unresponsive and needs to be closed by using Task Manager, a dump file can be created before closing it down by expanding the Flowcode entry and right-clicking one of the entries inside, as shown below.
createdump.png
createdump.png (33.73 KiB) Viewed 3952 times
Please contact me via PM is you have a Flowcode dump file you want to share with our dev team.