Simulation failure (or not)

Any bugs you encounter with Flowcode should be discussed here.
RGV250
http://meble-kuchenne.info.pl

Flowcode v10 Simulation failure (or not)

Post by RGV250 »

Hi,
I am not sure if this is considered a bug or not but it caused me a lot of headscratching.
I had 2 programs that were working with real hardware, I exported a macro and imported it in to the other one to merge the 2 functions. Both had Network comms and TCP_IP_RPi components. I deleted what I thought was the unwanted ones but what I think happened is I deleted one from each program so broke the connection between them. I could simulate the project but then it would not work with real hardware. It took ages to figure out the issue was the link so the question I have is should the simulation have worked in a simulation with no connection between the network comms and TCP_IP_RPi.
I wonder if a warning could be flagged up if there is no connection there as the simulation was actually updating the database which led me to believe I had a working program.

Regards,
Bob

Steve-Matrix
Matrix Staff

Re: Simulation failure (or not)

Post by Steve-Matrix »

I am not that familiar with how simulation works with those components, but in general I think that simulation of embedded systems is not a guarantee that the same project will run as expected on actual hardware.

That's not to say simulation is pointless. Simulating the project, especially in the early stages of development or on specific parts of your project, is a really useful tool to gain an understanding of the program flow and as a debugging aid.