Architecture advice please?

Discuss PC Developer and Web Developer projects and features here.
chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
http://meble-kuchenne.info.pl

Re: Architecture advice please?

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi Jan

Personally I haven't used it. It apparently has a couple of quirks (doesn't everything) say the people I know that do use it, but they like it none the less. Sounds like it could be a "ready made" option for you though.

Keep us updated.

Regards

jan.didden

Post by jan.didden »

Made some progress today getting started with the ESP component.
Downloading/installing the ESP toolchain required a number of trials to find the right combination of versions of the ESP IDF and Python that would work together as coded in the install scdript.
Turns out that IDF V5 and Python V3.7 are willing to jive together.

Initial test compilation worked but then failed on the build, see attachment.
I really don't know what I should do now, please advice.

Jan
Attachments
build.PNG
build.PNG (21.11 KiB) Viewed 3143 times

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Hi.
Can you read from this post onwards, please?
Martin

jan.didden

Post by jan.didden »

Hi Martin, thanks for chiming in.

I looked at your pointer as well as to Ben's inputs on this, but these appaer a year or more old and I have anyway no more problems with installing and compiling after figuring out which versions to use.

The problem I have is after a succesful compile, the build fails with the meassage:

ERROR: C:\Users\jandi\.espressif\python_env\idf5.0_py3.7_env\Scripts\python.exe doesn't support asyncio. The issue can be worked around by re-running idf.py with the "--no-hints" argument.

Will that be cleared by following the (tricky, by his own words) process described by Ben?

Also, how do I "Go to the project directory and run: idf.py build" ? I'm sure its trivial ...

Jan

LeighM
Valued Contributor

Post by LeighM »

Hi Jan,
ESP IDF version 5 cannot be used (with Flowcode).
This is causing the problems. The build is not successful.
Please read Martin's link carefully :)

jan.didden

Post by jan.didden »

I did a full re-install with ESP V4.1 and Python V3.7 as suggested by Ben, only to get this:

Code: Select all

Adding ESP-IDF tools to PATH...
ERROR: tool xtensa-esp-elf-gdb has no installed versions. Please run 'C:\Users\jandi\Desktop\esp-idf\install.bat' to install it.
ERROR: tool riscv32-esp-elf-gdb has no installed versions. Please run 'C:\Users\jandi\Desktop\esp-idf\install.bat' to install it.
ERROR: tool xtensa-esp32-elf has no installed versions. Please run 'C:\Users\jandi\Desktop\esp-idf\install.bat' to install it.
ERROR: tool xtensa-esp32s2-elf has no installed versions. Please run 'C:\Users\jandi\Desktop\esp-idf\install.bat' to install it.
ERROR: tool xtensa-esp32s3-elf has no installed versions. Please run 'C:\Users\jandi\Desktop\esp-idf\install.bat' to install it.
ERROR: tool riscv32-esp-elf has no installed versions. Please run 'C:\Users\jandi\Desktop\esp-idf\install.bat' to install it.
ERROR: tool esp32ulp-elf has no installed versions. Please run 'C:\Users\jandi\Desktop\esp-idf\install.bat' to install it.
ERROR: tool cmake has no installed versions. Please run 'C:\Users\jandi\Desktop\esp-idf\install.bat' to install it.
ERROR: tool openocd-esp32 has no installed versions. Please run 'C:\Users\jandi\Desktop\esp-idf\install.bat' to install it.
ERROR: tool ninja has no installed versions. Please run 'C:\Users\jandi\Desktop\esp-idf\install.bat' to install it.
ERROR: tool idf-exe has no installed versions. Please run 'C:\Users\jandi\Desktop\esp-idf\install.bat' to install it.
ERROR: tool ccache has no installed versions. Please run 'C:\Users\jandi\Desktop\esp-idf\install.bat' to install it.
ERROR: tool dfu-util has no installed versions. Please run 'C:\Users\jandi\Desktop\esp-idf\install.bat' to install it.
'idf.py' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
I did run the install.bat files, one is a Powershell script, the other looks like a regular .bat. No difference.

Jan

jan.didden

Post by jan.didden »

LeighM wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:01 pm
Hi Jan,
ESP IDF version 5 cannot be used (with Flowcode).
This is causing the problems. The build is not successful.
Please read Martin's link carefully :)
OK, but that sends me to a procedure by Ben that he himself calls "you may break things" and that appears only to get me back to EDF 4.1.
So I did a complete re-install to 4.1 (with Python 3.7) which only made things worse.
Do I really have to go through all those code lines?

Jan

jan.didden

Post by jan.didden »

OK, I did follow Ben's procedure, the first batch of commands failed due to:

C:\Users\jandi\Desktop\esp-idf-5\tools>python tools/idf_tools.py uninstall
python: can't open file 'tools/idf_tools.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory

Jan

jan.didden

Post by jan.didden »

So, uninstalled everything I could find of ESP and Python.
Now, which versions should I install? 4.1 and 3.7?

Jan

LeighM
Valued Contributor

Post by LeighM »

Yes, I think those are the recommend versions mentioned in the Matrix ESP installation pdf guide. Those instructions need to be followed to the letter.
Hope that helps