Installing and setting up of ESP32 toolchain

For general Flowcode discussion that does not belong in the other sections.
jandidden
http://meble-kuchenne.info.pl

Installing and setting up of ESP32 toolchain

Post by jandidden »

There have been discussions in other threads on this subject, spreading info in unrelated threads, mostly my bad.
In this thread I like to show what I did to set up the toolchain and any issues encountered. I will include references to earlier posts notably by Chipfryer27 and mnfisher on this subject. Thanks to all for helping me get forward in this.

My latest attempt is attached.

Earlier pertinent posts:
Chipfryer27 viewtopic.php?p=11359#p11359
mnfisher: viewtopic.php?p=11300#p11300
Chipfryer27: viewtopic.php?p=11340#p11340

Jan
Attachments
installing ESP32 toolchain.txt
(1.88 KiB) Downloaded 352 times

jandidden

Re: Installing and setting up of ESP32 toolchain

Post by jandidden »

chipfryer27 wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 10:21 am
Hi

Not really sure about that. I changed location in File> Global Options > Locations using the Browse button (three dots) to the right of the ESP Toolchain. I didn't use the "Customise" button in the build ribbon.

Regards
That works, thanks. Didn't see the 'three dots' but the File|Global settings gives access to the location dialog screen.
I found that the path was already set correctly to C:\Espressif\frameworks\esp-idf-v5.0.1
ninja build still fails

Jan
Last edited by jandidden on Wed May 10, 2023 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

BenR
Matrix Staff

Post by BenR »

Hello Jan,
19. Start FC10, try to set build->customise->locations Set esp to C:\Espressif\frameworks\esp-idf-v5.0.1 - error: only allowed on professional version.
What if instead you go to. File -> Global Options -> Locations tab and set the IDF directory there.

edit - Aha I see Chipfryer already beat me to it :D

jandidden

Post by jandidden »

Hi Ben, yes I just tried that, see Chipfryer27's post I quoted above. No joy.
I'm going to spring for the professional/commercial version anyway on the assumption I'll get it to work eventually 8-)

Jan

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi Jan

The thanks really is all for mnfisher as without his post my install success would possibly not yet have happened. The v5 toolchain is very much work in progress and thanks should also go to the Matrix team too.

I haven't yet attempted to update to ESPv5 on my W8.1 laptop (running FC9 and 10) as support for pre W10 is being phased out by Git, nor have I attempted trying to run earlier ESP versions as well as v5. I installed on my laptop using the ESP install guide provided on the FC website, and installed on the W10 PC (running FCv10) using ESPv5 as per mnfisher's post, so between the two I'm covered.

Do pay attention during installs as check boxes may pop up that need your attention.

Regards

jandidden

Post by jandidden »

OK, I took out my virgin laptop (never been touched by EDF stuff) and installed as admin, ticking all boxes that came up. With the espressife install I saw an issue about disabling long pathnames limits, I selected 'fix issue' and continued. Set the path in Location.

Unfortunately, after luiterally more than 1000 of lines building and linkink stuff, I got this: see 'fatal error'.

In file included from C:\ProgramData\MatrixTSL\FlowcodeV9\CAL\includes.c:53,
from C:/Users/jandi/OneDrive_-_Linear_Audio/2a_-_AR_xt/ESP32_wroom_kb_test/main/esp-project.c:725:
C:\ProgramData\MatrixTSL\FlowcodeV9\CAL\ESP\ESP_CAL_WIFI.c:48:10: fatal error: tcpip_adapter.h: No such file or directory
48 | #include "tcpip_adapter.h"
compilation terminated.
ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.
[0;33mHINT: Please check that the function name is correct. Also it is possible that you've forgot to import gpio_pad_select_gpio library(s) in header file or add the necessary REQURIES component. Try to add missing libraries to your project header file or check idf_component_register(REQUIRES ...) section in your component CmakeList.txt file. For more information run 'idf.py docs -sp api-guides/build-system.html'.
Also, please check if the function has been removed, renamed or replaced by an alternative function - refer to the migration guide for more information.[0m
[0;33mHINT: Please make sure that the header name is correct. Also please check if you've specified all component dependencies with 'idf_component_register(REQUIRES ...)'. If the component is not present then it should be added by the IDF Component Manager. For more information run 'idf.py docs -sp api-guides/build-system.html'.
Also, please check if the header file has been removed, renamed or relocated - refer to the migration guide for more information.[0m
ninja failed with exit code 1, output of the command is in the c:\users\jandi\onedrive_-_linear_audio\2a_-_ar_xt\esp32_wroom_kb_test\build\log\idf_py_stderr_output_12868 and c:\users\jandi\onedrive_-_linear_audio\2a_-_ar_xt\esp32_wroom_kb_test\build\log\idf_py_stdout_output_12868

I'm out of ideas right now.

Jan

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

I think Benj (or perhaps Steve) recently posted about issues when compiling fron OneDrive. Not too sure but perhaps worth a try to move it onto a desktop folder or the like?

At least you are getting some progress..

Regards

BenR
Matrix Staff

Post by BenR »

Hello,

Looks like your back in business there.
C:\ProgramData\MatrixTSL\FlowcodeV9\CAL\ESP\ESP_CAL_WIFI.c:48:10: fatal error: tcpip_adapter.h: No such file or directory
48 | #include "tcpip_adapter.h"
This is an error we can deal with so the toochain is working 8-)

What version of the IDF are you running? Please note if your on v5.0 then only v10 supports this and v9 requires the original v4.1.

If you are on v5.0 then don't rush around uninstalling things you can do a toolchain rollback. I'll dig out the details.

And here they are.
viewtopic.php?p=9222#p9222

jandidden

Post by jandidden »

I don't think I am making progress.

I ran a very simple flowchart, just 1 icon, setting a variable to 2.
Ran it from the local disk on the fresly-installed laptop with FC9.
I'm back to the failure I had a few days ago, on another PC:
FAILED: esp-idf/main/CMakeFiles/__idf_main.dir/esp-project.c.obj

Then installed and registered FC10 on the virgin laptop.
Got exact the same failure message.
Running toolchain v5.0.

Maybe I'm in the wrong time zone.

One riddle is why this has worked fine up to a month or so ago.
I worked on another project for some weeks, when I got back I never got it back to run.
What happened in that time - possibly a Windows update, possibly an FC9 update but I didn't have FC10 then, and now FC10 gives the same error, so that's unlikey.
Some changes to the toolchain - don't know.

Jan

jandidden

Post by jandidden »

Ben, I've been playing with the particular ESP32 module selected in the Project Options, and I get different errors depending on the selected module.
Some modules have a red excl mark next to them, that disappeared when I again updated FC10.
I guess you're on it ATM.
I can post the error messages here if that seems usefull?

Jan