SSD1322 Display Component Fonts

For general Flowcode discussion that does not belong in the other sections.
BenR
Matrix Staff
http://meble-kuchenne.info.pl

Re: SSD1322 Display Component Fonts

Post by BenR »

You might be able to generate what you need using something like this.
https://oleddisplay.squix.ch/

or maybe this.
https://bitbucket.org/castortiu/arduino ... rc/master/

No need to convert to a bitmap.

canary_wharfe

Post by canary_wharfe »

Ben
Many thanks for the bitbucket arduino font creator link. That is a valuable utility. I have a TTF custom windows font that emulates a certain display mode and I was struggling to find a utility that could convert the characters correctly without adding rendering errors. Although it will take a bit longer I can now individually create the glyphs in the Arduino Font Creator using the TTF characters in windows notepad as a graphic reference image. Then of course I see it's just a case of exporting the Font Creator work to produce a set of dot h files which I will send you. I will attempt to get it all done over the coming weekend if possible.

If you would then get the exported files into the SSD1322 component for Flowcode (perhaps with docs on the process) then I think a few others on the forum would also be interested to have this font available, especially rail enthusiasts and modelers. I will give details on the font later and I will make it open source for the benefit of other flowcode forum users so it can be freely modified to suit other transport applications.
Many thanks for the assistance.
I will be back in a few days (hopefully) when the work in arduino font creator is complete.

canary_wharfe

Post by canary_wharfe »

Hello Ben
I've started the font creation process over the weekend but having read up more on the problems with font rendering on the GLCDs due to byte overflows where the bitmap is not an exact multiple of 8 bits causing the remainder bits position to be added incorrectly in the header files I thought I would stop and check with you on the following:
1) Should I make the glyph bitmaps a multiple of 8, like 8, 16, 32, 64 px for best accuracy? If so I will need to edit each glyph in the TTF by hand.
2) Can I make the glyphs pixels count variable width or should I be looking at creating fixed width?

canary_wharfe

Post by canary_wharfe »

Can I get some type of update please. It's been over 9 days and no reply?

canary_wharfe

Post by canary_wharfe »

Any prospective purchaser of Flowcode wondering about the Matrix support for this product has the answer right here. Thread started on January 10th and today is February 20th and all responses have dried up. As a full paid up user for several years having spent nearly £1000 on Matrix products I literally get dumped after Ben Rowlands offers to illustrate adding new fonts into the SSD1322 component and then mysteriously just disappears from the thread. I even send a private message to him but did he reply to that? NADA!
Prospective purchasers: Do NOT invest in Flowcode because they appear to make arbitrary decisions on whether they will support you going forward!

Steve-Matrix
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve-Matrix »

Sorry about your issues. It looks like your previous reminder from last month was missed. I have asked for someone to look into it if possible.

On a more general note, Matrix staff and our excellent VCs on this forum sometimes find it difficult to find the balance between doing bespoke for a user's specific project and supporting the general use of Flowcode.

In the past we have offered a bespoke service for direct engineering support for user's projects and perhaps we could look at providing this service again if the demand is there. Unfortunately, this kind of service is quite costly for us to provide.

BenR
Matrix Staff

Post by BenR »

Hello,

I've also been looking into creating a new font and so far have hit a few hurdles wih the auto generated font tools. It seems arduino has moved on with the way they do their fonts. There was a tool that offered older font types by changing the library version to <3.0.

https://oleddisplay.squix.ch/

I'll try and revisit this this week and document what I do to make it easier for others to add in their own fonts.

Also sorry for radio silence, there's a lot going on for me at the moment, I've just had a baby girl and currently she doesn't like to sleep and we have a government contract to produce a range of hardware which I am the architect for with lots of team members needing help and guidance. I'll make an effort to check in with the forums more often though Steve and Martin and the VCs are also here to help where they can.

You also probably can't see it but I did leave a long and detailed reply but then I tried it and found it wasn't right and so I had to delete it so as to avoid confusion. This was using the linked tool where I couldn't add 1+1 to get 2 so there's something I'm missing.

It's been a while since I last visited the font creation tool and maybe I should move with the times and just adopt the new Arduino standard, that would certainly make it easier and might allow for external fonts to be created without having to update the font component. What are peoples thoughts here?

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi Ben

Congratulations on the new addition.

Regards

BenR
Matrix Staff

Post by BenR »

Thanks very much :D

This is also something else I tried that allows you to generate from your own uploaded TTF font based on the Adafruit font standard. However again this is not currently compatible with the Flowcode generated code and seems to have it's own flaws.

https://rop.nl/truetype2gfx/

canary_wharfe

Post by canary_wharfe »

Steve-Matrix wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:31 pm
Sorry about your issues. It looks like your previous reminder from last month was missed. I have asked for someone to look into it if possible.

On a more general note, Matrix staff and our excellent VCs on this forum sometimes find it difficult to find the balance between doing bespoke for a user's specific project and supporting the general use of Flowcode.

In the past we have offered a bespoke service for direct engineering support for user's projects and perhaps we could look at providing this service again if the demand is there. Unfortunately, this kind of service is quite costly for us to provide.
Steve, I appreciate your reply on the issue but to be fair the thread of this topic really wasn't about a bespoke project. It started as a general question from myself enquiring about whether the Flowcode display component could have other fonts than the current ones built-in. Ben indicated that he thought it was possible and intimated if I sent in the correctly formatted font he would add it and then outline the procedure used, presumably so all Flowcode users could adopt the technique to add their own fonts. I took this to mean a method that would benefit all users regardless, and not focused on a specific project. The font I have in mind is focused on a project but I was given the impression that Ben was going to demonstrate a technique that was not specifically project based. I expected the support would be along the lines of something like a follow along tutorial. I was quite happy with that response and began to prepare the font. While doing background research on font preparation I realised that I might be creating the font in a format that Ben would not be able to use as an example. At that point I asked if Ben could validate I was doing the fonts correctly and that's when the communication disappeared down a black hole. I even sent a private message to try and raise attention but every attempt by me to get attention was ignored. I wouldn't have felt so miffed if Ben hadn't implied that he would demonstrate the font addition in the first place.

I see that there has now been further information added to the thread so I will cut my complaint short at this point and read the latest information in this thread and see what has actually transpired.