esp and git 2.44

For general Flowcode discussion that does not belong in the other sections.
chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
http://meble-kuchenne.info.pl

Flowcode v10 esp and git 2.44

Post by chipfryer27 »

FYI

There appears to be an issue in using git 2.44 with esp 5.1.3. I know the recommended version is 2.21 but up until now I've not had any issue with later versions.

Other software I install often updates git to a newer version.

Sometime between installing the esp-idf as per instruction, which worked first time on a W11 laptop, git got updated to 2.44. This morning when attempting to compile, not only did it fail but the folder that gets created in the process was two levels higher than the project....

This is an excert of the message:-

-- Found Git: C:/Program Files/Git/cmd/git.exe (found version "2.44.0.windows.1")
-- git describe returned 'fatal: bad object HEAD
fatal: 'git status --porcelain=2' failed in submodule vendor/c_exception
fatal: 'git status --porcelain=2' failed in submodule components/cmock/CMock'

Not really sure what went wrong but uninstalling esp and git, deleting all associated folders, runing a registry cleaner, restarting etc then reinstalliing the esp as per the instructions got me working again (on another machine I'm using git 2.39 without issue, well so far).

Regards

BenR
Matrix Staff

Re: esp and git 2.44

Post by BenR »

Thanks for letting us know and glad you've now got it resolved. Could be a bug in the latest version of Git that will likely get ironed out again in a later version.

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

Might have been premature in blaming git.

Haven't had much luck in getting things going. Thought by my uninstall / reinstall all was good but then couldn't run app dev examples (can on other machine).

idf 5.2 won't run with python 3.7 so went back to 5.1 release which installed 5.1.3 and have same issues (python 3.7 / git 2,21) so it may be 5.1.3 is problematic.

Will now go search for earlier releases.

Regards

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

Tried a few versions of IDF all failed for some reason or another in either the install or when trying to compile the app/web dev examples.

So after numerous fails due to numerous reasons, the W11 is now again working with:-

Python 3.7.3
Git 2.21.0
IDF 5.1.3

This time it now compiles the Web Developer examples....

Taking bets on how long it stays working and another on what breaks it :)

Regards