Idiots guide to getting started - app developer

Discuss PC Developer and Web Developer projects and features here.
RGV250
http://meble-kuchenne.info.pl

Idiots guide to getting started - app developer

Post by RGV250 »

Hi,
I have been looking at all the examples and reading the forum but do not seem to be able to find an idiots guide to getting started.
I found from the components (API)
https://www.flowcode.co.uk/wiki/index.p ... _component that says the firmware needs to be pre installed first. Further down it shows pin mapping which confuses me, does this mean the app is actually controlling the device and therefore needs to be running the full time?
All the examples seem to be cluttered (not the best word for it) with a whole lot of things as they are complete projects. What I (and probably a few others) would like to see is a guide with all the steps to install and run the app/project to show the relationship between. I think the example would be better with possibly just one thing shuch as a counter so it is obvious what is actually happening.

Regards,
Bob

BenR
Matrix Staff

Re: Idiots guide to getting started - app developer

Post by BenR »

Hi Bob,

App Developer is basically a project that will just run on the PC and allows you to create a UI or simple method of controlling or talking to your embedded hardware. You can then roll it out to others without Flowcode installed if you wish to do so.

The API components and firmware allow you to program a piece of hardware with dedicated functionality to be a slave to app developer (or the embedded simulation) and hence in answer to this question.
does this mean the app is actually controlling the device and therefore needs to be running the full time?
Yes, App developer is in control of the API device at all times. If the app is not running then the API device is just sitting waiting for commands.

If you wanted some kind of a half way house then you could take the API embedded project file and change it to suit your requirements and this would allow for some App Developer functionality combined with embedded always running functionality. This is how we do things like or electical machines and process control hardware.

Another means of doing this would just be to use your own communications such as COM port to UART or something like Modbus to help segment the individual values.

If you give us specifics on what you are trying to do then maybe we can help with what is currently possible out the box and what bits would need to be done to fill in the blanks.

RGV250

Post by RGV250 »

Thanks Ben, your'e a star.
I have been working harder (physical as well) today than before I retired, something has definitely gone wrong in the plan. Anyway, I figure I have earnt some beers so I will have a drink (and a think) to give you an idea of exactly what I need.
This is how we do things like or electical machines and process control hardware.
Interesting, when I was programming PLC's at work our specification stated that the machine should still be capable of running via a laptop if the HMI/display was disconnected. I did that with all the machines I programmed but the OEM's were a nightmare, one of the reasons I took early retirement as their hardware was so unreliable (and expensive when it failed).

Bob

RGV250

Post by RGV250 »

Hi Ben,
I think having the PC on all the time for app developer would be an issue for me, it would be nice if you could get it to run on a Pi for a low power option.
After considerable beer I could not make any sense but hopefully this is something to go on.
Ideally I would really like to have a web browser running on the Pi but with the https issue, I do not know what has changed but I cannot even simulate it now.
I need to use real hardware now anyway but without a way to view the output it is a major problem. That is where I though the app developer would be handy, what I thought I could do was use it like an HMI so it can read and write to the application running on the Pi but if it gets turned off the Pi application still runs.
Also I have WAGO PLC's controlling the lighting in my house, it would be nice if I could use app developer to show the status of the lights etc and control them if need be but if the PC is turned off the PLC's will carry on as normal. They use Modbus TCP.

Bob

RGV250

Post by RGV250 »

Hi Ben,
This is similar to what I am hoping to do. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=729
Is it actually possible to do this as I was not sure in the other post as it mention JSON, I really do not want to have another thing to look at which may complicate it.
If it is possible,
If I am looking at the WAGO PLC (Modbus) can I just read addresses as the target will not be running Flowcode.
If I am looking at the Raspberry Pi where I will have Flowcode on the target do i need to install the firmware.

Regards,
Bob

RGV250

Post by RGV250 »

Hi,
The only Modbus Master example I can find is this
https://www.flowcode.co.uk/wiki/index.p ... s:_System)
It is no use for me at all as it is just setting coils, I am trying to read registers and from an installed device. I have tried loads of permutations but cannot get any response.
If I use Simply Modbus TCP client I can see the data but I think my issue is how to actually use the commands. I think the Return value is just for the state of the requuest so how do I actually store the data that is being read (assuming I have the right address).
I have attached what I have tried which i dont think is any use at all.
ModbusTCPMasterExample_2.fcfx
(11.36 KiB) Downloaded 199 times
Bob